My Guide Website?
San Miguel: Cañada de la Virgen Archaeological Site Tour16 Reviews
Discover the archaeological site of Cañada de la Virgen on this half-day tour from San Miguel de Allende. Learn the history of the site from an knowledgable bilingual guide, and afterwards enjoy a ranch-style meal prepared by the local community.
Our Top Experiences and Tours in Mexico:If youʻre booking your trip to Mexico last minute, we have you covered. Below are some of the top tours and experiences!
- Discover the different architectural complexes and the garden of the Archeological Site Cañada de la Virgen
- Admire the landscape of the canyon where the site is located
- Enjoy a delicious ranch-style meal in a small local community
DescriptionThe archaeological site of Cañada de la Virgen is located just 25 kilometers west of San Miguel de Allende. Occupied between 540 and 1050 A.D., it is perched upon a small mesa surrounded by canyons. The site is made up of four patio/pyramid complexes, an ancient, artificial pond and a ceremonial causeway covering the 16 hectares. Your highly specialized guide will share their knowledge of the Otomi people and of other cultures of the Bajio region, as well as the Mesoamerican cultures in general. After the tour, you will head to a small village located just 10 minutes away to enjoy a real ranch-style meal prepared by the ladies of the community. The meal consists of fresh ranch style cheese prepared on site daily, fresh tortillas al comal, organic cheese, rice, beans, fresh salsas, and guacamole. Also on the menu are quesadillas, nopales (cactus), salad, potato patties and fresh fruit.
IncludesTransportation to and from San Miguel de Allende Entry fee for the archaeological site Guided tour of the pyramid complex by an experienced and knowledgeable guide Travel insurance Lunch at a neighboring ranch
- This tour is not recommended for people with limited mobility, because participants need to walk a total of approximately 3 kilometers (2 miles) during the 2-hour tour in order cover all the important areas of the archaeological site.
- Large bags and backpacks are not allowed into the archaeological site. Small camera bags or purses, cameras and water are allowed. Larger bags can be left in your tour vehicle or with site staff at the visitor's center.
- This tour takes about 5 hours in total.