My Guide Website?
Cancun: Ek Balam Self-Guided Tour2 Reviews
This narrated, self-guided tour of Ek Balam takes you through one of the most important ancient Mayan archaeological sites in existence. Dig into their ancient culture, science, religion, and more.
Our Top Experiences and Tours in Mexico:If youʻre booking your trip to Mexico last minute, we have you covered. Below are some of the top tours and experiences!
- Climb to the top of an ancient Mayan pyramid
- Discover the tomb of Ukit Kan Le'k Tok’, a Mayan king
- Unlock the secrets behind ancient hieroglyphics found throughout the site
- Learn about the ancient Mayan art, religion, and culture
- Tour without the hassle of a group or the risk of an unreliable guide
DescriptionStart by downloading the Action Tour Guide app, which will function as your personal tour guide, audio tour, and map all in one. NOTE: This 1-mile-long tour covers the essentials of Ek Balam in 1 hour. Once downloaded, your tour of Ek Balam begins near the Visitor Center. As you head into the site, you’ll turn back the clock thousands of years and revisit the history of Maya before the Europeans arrived. Then, learn about the arrival of the Spanish, their conquest, and how it changed the course of history on the continent. After crossing through the remnants of an ancient defensive wall, you’ll arrive at a ball court and learn the fundamentals of an intense, dangerous Mayan game that was a little bit like a cross between soccer and basketball, but with unbelievably high stakes. Then, making your way to the Circular Steam Bath (which was used to heal the sick and wounded), you’ll get a crash course in Mayan architecture. You’ll also get more familiar with the complex tenets of ancient Mayan religion on your way to your next stop. Next comes the Acropolis, the largest standing structure on the peninsula. This immense building is King Ukit Kan Le'k Tok’s most enduring legacy. Fortunately, you can actually climb the stairs to the top! As you climb, you’ll notice a pair of hieroglyphic serpents and discover their meaning. After that comes the tomb of Ukit Kan Le'k Tok’ himself. It’s quite possibly the best-preserved tomb of any Mayan king, and is a must-see stop during your visit. Finally, you’ll reach the top of the pyramid. From here, you’ll have panoramic views in every direction. You’ll even be able to see the outline of Chichen Itza on a clear day! The tour concludes here, after detailing the plaza visible below.
IncludesA link to download the Action Tour Guide app and a unique password for your tour(s). An audio guide, location-aware map, and storyteller — all in one mobile app tour. Our mission: To explore the world and its many stories. Join us! Ease of use: Stories auto-play based on your location so you don’t have to do anything once you’ve started. Offline map: Works without a cell signal or wifi once downloaded. Hidden gems: Visit often-missed spots and enrich your experience with little-known history. Flexibility: Explore at your own pace with no fixed schedule. Take a break, a hike, whatever, and pick up where you left off! No expiration date: Your tour is valid for life. Listen whenever, wherever, and however often you want. All-day support line: Call, chat, or email for help.
- This tour is a self-guided mobile app tour with a map, audio stories, and images.
- Access the tour on the Action Tour Guide app (separate from the Get Your Guide app).
- Use the unique password received after booking to download & preview your specific tours before you arrive.
- Start at the Starting Point. Follow the tour route. All audio stories play automatically based on your location.
- Flexible schedule: Use it on any day and at any time, or over multiple days. No need to rebook if your travel plans change.
- Lifetime access: Use it on your next trip here! This tour never expires.
- Walking tour: Use one tour per couple and share headphones.
- Get support by calling, chatting, or emailing - all day long.